059_Journey to the West 59_Scared Villagers

"Can we please stop to rest?" moaned Bajie one day.

“我们能停下来休息一下吗?”一天,八戒呻吟道。

The group had spent the morning walking down a long mountain trail.

这群人花了一上午沿着一条长长的山路散步。

"My knees feel weak!" cried the pig.

“我的膝盖发软!”猪叫道。

"We'll rest in a little while, Bajie," said the Tang Monk.

“我们一会儿休息,八戒。”唐僧说。

As they walked, the travelers started to hear the sound of rushing water.

他们走着走着,旅行者们开始听到哗哗的水声。

It grew louder and louder.

声音越来越大。

"We're approaching a river," said Wujing.

“我们正在接近一条河,”吴京说。

The trail went around a hill.

小路绕过一座小山。

A moment later the travelers saw the river.

过了一会儿,旅行者看到了这条河。

"How will we cross this river?" said the Tang Monk.

“我们怎么过这条河?”唐僧说。

"It's so wide, I can't see the other side."

“太宽了,我看不到另一边。”

Wukong leaped into the air and looked around.

悟空腾空而起,环顾四周。

"There's a small village nearby," he said.

“附近有一个小村庄,”他说。

"Maybe someone there has a boat."

“也许那里有人有船。”

The group walked to the village.

这群人步行去了村子。

The street was deserted.

街上空无一人。

A few villagers peeked out of windows and from behind doors.

几个村民从窗户和门后偷看。

They looked scared.

他们看起来很害怕。

A man was getting water from a well.

一个男人正在从井里取水。

"Hello!" said Wukong.

“喂!”悟空说。

Startled, the man dropped his bucket down the well and spun around.

那人吓了一跳,把水桶扔进井里,转过身来。

"Wh-who are you?"

“你、你是谁?”

The Tang Monk stepped forward.

唐僧上前一步。

"I'm from the Tang Empire.

“我来自大唐帝国。

We're traveling to the Western Paradise to get scriptures from Buddha."

我们要去西天取经。”

The man relaxed a bit.

男人放松了一点。

"That's wonderful!"

“那太好了!”

"We need a boat to get across the river," said Bajie.

“我们需要一艘船过河,”八戒说。

"I don't have a boat," said the man.

“我没有船,”那人说。

"But someone in the village might.

“但村里有人可能会。

Please come with me.

请跟我来。

I'll make some tea.

我去泡些茶。

My name is Chen."

我叫陈。”

The travelers followed Chen to his home.

旅行者跟着陈去了他家。

Inside, they sat down as Chen boiled water for tea.

在里面,他们坐下来,陈煮水喝茶。

"Why does everyone in this village seem so scared?" asked the Tang Monk.

“为什么这个村子里的每个人看起来都这么害怕?”唐僧问道。

Chen sighed and sat down.

陈叹了口气,坐了下来。

He started to cry.

他开始哭了起来。

"My dear man," said the Tang Monk. "What's wrong?

“我亲爱的人,”唐僧说。“怎么了?

Did I upset you?"

我让你难过了吗?”

"No," said Chen through his tears.

“不,”陈流着泪说。

"It's just that life is very bad in this village.

“只是这个村子的生活很糟糕。

A few years ago, a terrible demon arrived.

几年前,一个可怕的恶魔降临了。

He's always treated us badly, but now things are worse.

他总是对我们不好,但现在情况更糟了。

He demanded that we give him a child.

他要求我们给他一个孩子。

If we don't, he'll destroy our entire village.

如果我们不这样做,他会毁了我们整个村庄。

Tomorrow morning I must . . . hand over my son!"

明天早上我必须 . . . 交出我的儿子!"

Chen burst into tears all over again.

陈再次放声大哭。

Wukong giggled and then laughed.

悟空咯咯笑了,然后笑了。

The Tang Monk glared at the monkey.

唐僧瞪了猴子一眼。

"Wukong! Why are you laughing?"

“悟空!你笑什么?”

Bajie shook his head.

八戒摇了摇头。

"He's cruel, Master.

“他很残忍,主人。

You should recite the Tight Headband spell."

你应该背诵紧头带咒语。”

"There's no need for that," said Wukong, still laughing.

“没必要,”悟空说,仍然笑着。

He turned to Chen.

他转向陈。

"I'm not laughing at you, sir.

“我没有嘲笑你,先生。

I'm laughing because today is the luckiest day of your life."

我笑是因为今天是你一生中最幸运的一天。”

Chen raised his eyebrows.

陈扬起眉毛。

"How am I lucky?"

“我有多幸运?”

"You've probably never heard of me," said Wukong.

悟空说:“你可能从未听说过我。”

"But I am Sun Wukong, the Monkey King.

“可我是孙悟空,孙悟空是孙悟空。

I once defeated the Jade Emperor's entire army.

我曾经打败过玉皇大帝的整个军队。

And tomorrow I will save your son's life."

明天我会救你儿子的命。”

"Are you a spirit?" asked Chen.

“你是灵吗?”陈问道。

"Yes, a very powerful spirit," said Wukong.

“是的,一个非常强大的灵魂,”悟空说。

"Bring your son out here.

“带你儿子出来。

I need to look at him."

我需要看看他。”

Chen left the room for a moment.

陈先生离开房间片刻。

When he came back, a small boy was with him.

当他回来时,一个小男孩和他在一起。

"This is my son," said Chen.

“这是我儿子,”陈说。

Wukong walked around the boy, examining him closely.

悟空绕着男孩走来走去,仔细检查着他。

Finally the monkey folded his arms and said, "I have a plan."

最后,猴子双臂交叉,说:“我有个计划。”

The next morning the boy climbed onto a small platform.

第二天早上,男孩爬上了一个小平台。

Several villagers carried the platform to the edge of the river.

几个村民把平台抬到了河边。

They placed the platform on the ground and then backed away.

他们把平台放在地上,然后后退。

For a moment everything was quiet.

一时间,一切都很安静。

The boy sat alone on the platform.

男孩独自坐在平台上。

Suddenly a dark cloud approached.

突然乌云逼近。

A fierce-looking demon emerged from the cloud.

一个面目狰狞的恶魔从云层中出现。

It had sharp teeth.

它有锋利的牙齿。

The boy smiled at the demon. "Hello!"

男孩对着恶魔笑了笑。“你好!”