Buddha smiled at Wukong.
佛祖对悟空笑了笑。
"How did you get so powerful?"
“你怎么会这么厉害?”
"A sage taught me secret formulas," said Wukong.
悟空说:“圣人教我秘方。”
"I practiced them for many years.
“我练习了很多年。
I am now equal to the Jade Emperor."
我现在等于玉皇大帝了。”
"The Jade Emperor has been practicing the same formulas for many lifetimes," said Buddha.
佛陀说:“玉皇大帝已经练习了很多辈子同样的公式。”
"How can you think you're equal to him?
“你怎么能认为你和他平等?
Go back to your mountain now and behave yourself."
现在回你的山上去,规矩点。”
"No," said Wukong.
“不,”悟空说。
"I'm not leaving until I get to rule Heaven."
"我不会离开直到我统治天堂"
Buddha thought for a minute.
佛祖想了想。
"Sun Wukong, what powers do you have?"
“孙悟空,你有什么能力?”
"I can change into other animals," said Wukong.
悟空说:“我可以变成其他动物。”
"I can soar through the sky on clouds.
“我可以乘着云朵翱翔天空。
I can do anything I want!"
我想做什么都可以!”
"Then let's make a bet," said Buddha.
“那我们打个赌,”佛祖说。
"If you win, you can rule Heaven.
“如果你赢了,你可以统治天堂。
The Jade Emperor will come to live with me in the Western Paradise.
玉皇大帝将和我一起住在西天。
But if you lose, you will be punished severely."
但如果你输了,你会受到严厉的惩罚。”
"What do I have to do?" asked Wukong.
“我该怎么办?”悟空问。
"It's simple," said Buddha.
“很简单,”佛陀说。
He held out his hand.
他伸出了手。
"You just have to jump off my hand."
“你只要跳下我的手就行了。”
Wukong laughed. "That's easy!
悟空笑道。“这很容易!
I can jump across entire oceans!"
我可以跨越整个海洋!”
Buddha smiled. "Well then, let's see you do it."
佛祖笑道:“好吧,那就看你怎么做。”
Wukong stepped up onto Buddha's palm.
悟空一脚踩在佛祖的手掌上。
"You're a fool," he said to Buddha.
“你是个傻瓜,”他对佛陀说。
"I'm going to jump farther than you could ever imagine.
“我要跳得比你想象的更远。
When I return, I'll be the ruler of Heaven!"
等我回来,我就是天庭的主宰!”
Wukong leaped and soared through the air.
悟空纵身一跃,腾空而起。
After a long time, he saw five enormous pillars.
许久之后,他看到了五根巨大的柱子。
He landed in front of them.
他落在他们面前。
"This must be the end of the world," he said to himself.
“这一定是世界末日,”他对自己说。
"I'll go back now and tell Buddha to take the Jade Emperor away.
“我现在就回去,告诉佛祖带走玉皇大帝。
Heaven is mine!"
天堂是我的!”
Wukong was just about to jump back when he thought of something.
悟空刚要跳回去,想到了什么。
"There's nobody around," he thought.
“周围没有人,”他想。
"How will I prove that I was here?"
“我怎么证明我在这里?”
He tapped his chin.
他拍了拍下巴。
"I'll write a note on this pillar.
“我会在这根柱子上写一张纸条。
Buddha can come here and check."
佛祖可以过来看看。”
Wukong plucked two hairs and turned them into a brush and a jar of ink.
悟空拔了两根头发,把它们变成了毛笔和一罐墨水。
On one of the pillars, he wrote: Sun Wukong was here.
在其中一根柱子上,他写道:孙悟空在这里。
"There," said Wukong.
“那里,”悟空说。
"Now I'll go and tell Buddha how far I jumped."
"现在我要去告诉佛祖我跳了多远。"
Wukong leaped once more.
悟空再次跃起。
After a long time, he landed on Buddha's palm again.
许久之后,他再次落在佛祖的手掌上。
"I'm back!" said Wukong. "Tell the Jade Emperor to leave."
“我回来了!”悟空说。“告诉玉皇大帝离开。”
Buddha frowned. "How can you say you're back?
佛祖皱眉:“你怎么能说你回来了?
You never left my hand."
你从未离开过我的手。”
Wukong was confused.
悟空一头雾水。
"Yes, I did! I reached the end of the world.
“是的,我做到了!我到达了世界的尽头。
There were five enormous pillars.
有五根巨大的柱子。
I even wrote on one.
我甚至在上面写了。
Come with me and I'll show you."
跟我来,我带你去看看。”
"There's no need to go anywhere," said Buddha.
“哪里都不用去,”佛陀说。
"Just look down."
“往下看。”
Wukong looked down.
悟空低下头。
Near the bottom of Buddha's middle finger was the note:
佛陀中指底部附近有这样一个音符:
Sun Wukong was here.
孙悟空来了。
Wukong stomped his foot.
悟空跺了跺脚。
"It's a trick! You used some sort of magic!"
“这是一个骗局!你使用了某种魔法!”
"It's not a trick," said Buddha.
“这不是诡计,”佛陀说。
"You never left my palm."
“你从未离开过我的手掌。”
"I did! I did!" cried Wukong.
“我做到了!我做到了!”悟空喊道。
"I jumped all the way to—"
“我一路跳到了――”
"You lost the bet, Sun Wukong," said Buddha.
“你打赌输了,孙悟空,”佛祖说。
"And now you will be punished."
“现在你将受到惩罚。”
Holding Wukong tightly, Buddha reached down to Earth.
佛紧紧地抱着悟空,来到了人间。
His hand turned into a mountain, which he placed on top of the monkey.
他的手变成了一座山,放在猴子身上。
"Grr!" Wukong grunted, and pushed with all his strength.
“嘎嘎!”悟空哼了一声,用尽全力推了推。
The mountain started to rise.
山开始上升。
Buddha pulled a small sheet of magic paper from his sleeve.
佛陀从袖子里拿出一张小魔法纸。
He laid the paper on top of the mountain.
他把纸放在山顶上。
The mountain dropped back down.
山又落了下来。
Buddha turned to the Jade Emperor.
佛陀转向玉皇大帝。
"Sun Wukong can't lift the mountain now," he said.
“孙悟空现在抬不动山了,”他说。
"He will be trapped until his punishment is over."
“他将被困住,直到他的惩罚结束。”