Lesson (02).srt

Lesson 2 13-1 Listen to the tape, then answer the question below.

听录音,然后回答以下问题。

Was the vicar pleased that the clock was striking? Why?

时钟敲响了,牧师高兴吗?为什么?

Our vicar is always raising money for one cause or another, but he has never managed to get enough money to have the church clock repaired.

我们的牧师总是为这样或那样的事业筹集资金,但是他从来没有设法筹集到足够的钱来修理教堂的钟。

The big clock, which used to strike the hours day and night, was damaged many years ago and has been silent ever since.

这座大钟过去日夜报时,多年前就被损坏了,从那以后就一直保持沉默。

One night, however, our vicar woke up with a start.

然而,一天晚上,我们的牧师惊醒了。

The clock was striking the hours.

时钟在报时。

Looking at his watch, he saw that it was one o'clock, but the bell struck thirteen times before it stopped.

他看了看表,发现已经一点钟了,但是钟敲了十三下才停下来。

Struck with a torch, the vicar went up into the clock tower to see what was going on.

牧师被火把击中,走进钟楼看看发生了什么事。

In the torchlight, he caught sight of a figure whom he immediately recognized as Bill Wilkins, our local grocer.

在手电筒的光线下,他看到了一个人影,他立刻认出了他是比尔·威尔金斯,我们当地的杂货店老板。

Whatever are you doing up here, Bill? asked the vicar in surprise.

你在这儿干什么,比尔?牧师惊讶地问。

I'm trying to repair the bell, answered Bill.

比尔回答说:我正在努力修理铃铛。

I've been coming up here night after night for weeks now.

几个星期以来,我夜复一夜地来到这里。

You see, I was hoping to give you a surprise.

你看,我想给你一个惊喜。

You certainly did give me a surprise, said the vicar.

你确实给了我一个惊喜,牧师说。

You've probably woken up everyone in the village as well.

你可能也吵醒了村子里的每个人。

Still, I'm glad the bell is working again.

尽管如此,我还是很高兴铃声又响了。

That's the trouble, vicar, answered Bill.

这就是问题所在,牧师。比尔回答。

It's working all right, but I'm afraid that at one o'clock it will strike thirteen times and there's nothing I can do about it.

它工作得很好,但是恐怕一点钟它会敲十三下,我对此无能为力。

You'll get used to that, Bill, said the vicar.

你会习惯的,比尔,牧师说。

Thirteen is not as good as one, but it's better than nothing.

十三岁不如一岁,但总比没有好。

Now let's go downstairs and have a cup of tea.

现在我们下楼去喝杯茶吧。