099_Journey to the West 99_Squire Kou's Vow

The monster yelled from inside the cave.

怪物在山洞里大叫。

"We ate the Tang Monk!

“我们吃了唐僧!

So you might as well leave!"

所以你还是走吧!”

"Oh no!" Bajie fell to his knees and cried.

“糟了!”八戒跪倒在地哭了起来。

Wujing wiped tears from his eyes.

吴京擦了擦眼泪。

"Poor Master."

“可怜的主人。”

Wukong frowned at his companions.

悟空皱着眉头看着他的同伴。

"I can't believe you two believe that monster."

“我不敢相信你们两个相信那个怪物。”

He sighed. "Wait here."

他叹了口气。“在这里等着。”

The monkey turned into a moth and flew into the cave.

猴子变成了飞蛾,飞进了山洞。

He soon found the Tang Monk tied up in a dark room.

他很快发现唐僧被绑在一个黑暗的房间里。

Wukong turned back into himself.

悟空变回了自己。

"Wukong!" cried the Tang Monk.

“悟空!”唐僧叫道。

"Shh." The monkey untied the monk.

“嘘。”猴子解开了和尚。

"We must be quiet."

“我们必须安静。”

Wukong recited a spell.

悟空念了一个咒语。

A moment later the sound of snoring drifted into the room.

过了一会儿,鼾声传进了房间。

"My spell put the monster and demons to sleep," said the monkey.

“我的咒语让怪物和恶魔睡着了,”猴子说。

"Let's go."

“走吧。”

Wukong and the monk came out of the cave.

悟空和和尚从山洞里出来了。

Bajie and Wujing were thrilled.

八戒和吴京激动不已。

"Master, we thought you'd been eaten," said Bajie.

“师父,我们还以为你被吃掉了呢。”

"I knew he was fine," said Wukong.

“我知道他没事,”悟空说。

"Now I'm going to make sure these villains never bother anyone again."

“现在我要确保这些恶棍再也不会打扰任何人了。”

He pulled out his iron bar.

他拔出他的铁棒。

It grew until it was the size of a very tall tree.

它一直长到有一棵非常高的树那么大。

"Stand back," said the monkey.

“退后,”猴子说。

With one swing Wukong smashed the entire cave.

悟空一挥,就把整个山洞给砸了。

Rocks exploded and fell on top of one another.

岩石爆炸,落到一块一块的上面。

Wukong looked at the rubble and smiled.

悟空看着瓦砾笑了。

Weeks went by, and the travelers arrived in a small town.

几个星期过去了,旅行者来到了一个小镇。

Bajie's stomach growled loudly.

八姐肚子咕咕叫的厉害。

Wukong laughed.

悟空笑了。

"I guess we should look for food."

“我想我们应该去找食物。”

They saw an old monk walking down a street.

他们看见一个老和尚走在街上。

"Kind monk," said the Tang Monk.

“和尚。”唐僧说。

"Do you know where we can beg for some food?

“你知道我们在哪里可以乞讨一些食物吗?

We are quite hungry."

我们很饿。”

The old monk nodded.

老和尚点了点头。

"Go to Squire Kou's house.

“去寇乡绅家。

The squire made a vow to feed ten thousand Buddhist monks.

乡绅发誓要养活一万名佛教僧侣。

He will surely give you some food."

他肯定会给你一些食物。”

He gave the Tang Monk directions to the house.

他给唐僧指了路。

"Thank you," said the Tang Monk.

“谢谢。”唐僧说道。

The travelers arrived at the squire's gate, and a servant let them in.

旅行者来到乡绅的门口,一个仆人让他们进来。

The squire's house was very large and fancy.

乡绅的房子又大又豪华。

Squire Kou came outside.

寇乡绅出来了。

"Greetings," he said with a smile.

“你好,”他笑着说。

"Please come inside."

“请进。”

The travelers sat with the squire in a large room.

旅行者和乡绅坐在一个大房间里。

A servant brought tea and snacks.

仆人端来了茶和点心。

"Thank you for inviting us in, Squire," said the Tang Monk.

“谢谢你邀请我们进来,乡绅。”唐僧说道。

"We heard that you made a vow to feed ten thousand monks."

“听说你立誓要养活一万个和尚。”

"Yes," said the squire.

“是的,”乡绅说。

"I've made plenty of money during my life.

“我这辈子赚了很多钱。

But I want to do good deeds as well.

但是我也想做好事。

I hope to be reborn one day as a bodhisattva or even a buddha."

我希望有一天能重生成为菩萨甚至佛陀。”

"Well, Squire," said Bajie, "today's your lucky day!

“好吧,乡绅,”八戒说,“今天是你的幸运日!

I can easily eat as much food as ten thousand monks.

我可以轻易地吃下一万个和尚那么多的食物。

So if you feed me, you'll definitely become a buddha!"

所以你喂我,一定会成佛的!”

Everybody laughed.

大家都笑了。

"It <font color="#ffff00"><i>is</i></font> my lucky day," said the squire.

<i>今天是我的幸运日,乡绅说。

"Last night I checked to see how many monks I've fed.

“昨晚我检查了一下我喂了多少和尚。

So far I've fed 9,996 monks.

到目前为止,我已经喂了9996个僧侣。

I need to feed only four more in order to fulfill my vow."

为了完成我的誓言,我只需要再喂四个人。”

A smile spread across his face.

他脸上露出了笑容。

"And there are four of you!"

“还有你们四个!”

That evening Squire Kou held a feast.

那天晚上寇乡绅举行了一场宴会。

Everybody in the town was invited.

镇上的每个人都被邀请了。

The travelers sat with the squire and his wife, Lady Kou.

旅人与乡绅和他的妻子寇夫人坐在一起。

Bajie drooled as he gazed at all of the wonderful food on the table.

八戒看着桌上的美食,口水直流。

"Noodles, buns, mushrooms . . . I don't know what to eat first!"

“面条、包子、蘑菇 . . . 我不知道先吃什么!”

As they ate, Squire Kou leaned toward the Tang Monk.

吃的时候,寇乡绅靠向唐僧。

"So where are you and your companions going?"

“那你和你的同伴要去哪里?”

"We're traveling to the Western Paradise," said the monk.

“我们要去西方极乐世界,”和尚说。

"We're going to fetch the True Scriptures from Buddha."

“我们去佛祖那里取真经。”

The squire's eyes lit up.

乡绅眼睛一亮。

"You are special guests!

“你们是特殊客人!

I can't let you leave!"

我不能让你离开!”